Browse Items (2354 total)

Jemison.tif
The Jemison Home, also known as the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion, at 1305 Greensboro Avenue was built between 1859 and 1861 by one of Tuscaloosa's most prominent figures, Robert Jemison Jr., a plantation owner. The house was built of materials that…

searcy.tif
The two-story Searcy House was built in 1904 by George Searcy, a Tuscaloosa banker and businessman. It was sold to Tuscaloosa County in 1925 for $35,000. The building was used for both a public library and the administrative offices of the Tuscaloosa…

train station.tif
The Alabama Great Southern Depot was located at 2105 Greensboro Avenue where the current (2017) Amtrak Station is located. This building was replaced with the current structure.

LaFrance.tif
The 1921 American LaFrance Pumper ready for the fire prevention parade in 1951. Fire Prevention Week was held in the fall to remind residents to "inspect and repair your defective furnace - heaters - flues and pipes before starting fall fires".…

Stallworth.jpg
Stallworth Lake was a recreational lake that was located at the foot of River Hill. The lake, which was built in 1918, had sliding boards, spring boards, diving towers, floating rafts, boating, a merry-go-round, and a miniature zoo. It became a city…

William T Wedgeworth 6-26-68.jpg
Cpl. William T. Wedgeworth was killed on June 17, 1968 while serving with the Company C, 503 Infantry Division, 4th Battalion. Cpl. Wedgeworth was a graduate of Northside High School who was living in Ohio at the time of his enlistment. Cpl.…

DIXIEAIR.jpg
Dixie Air Incorporated was located at the Hargrove Van De Graaff Field. In the 1950s, Dixie Air was not only a Fixed Base Operation (handling aircraft servicing needs) but also offered certified flight instruction. It was operated by "Doc" Carl,…

chicken.jpg
This business believed to have been located in the 15th Street/Hackberry Lane area in the 1950s featured chicken in a basket for $1.00.

IMG_20180601_0001.jpg
Located at 2001 6th Street (originally Cotton Street), the car dealership sold Chevrolets and Hudsons. Also known as Tuscaloosa Chevrolet, the business moved to Greensboro Avenue near the Black Warrior River. Later the building in this photograph was…

Diamond.jpg
The Diamond Theater opened in 1946 at 621 23rd Avenue in Tuscaloosa and closed in 1967. The building accommodated 500 and was fitted with the most modern cinema equipment, attractively decorated and completely fireproof. The theater and Diamond Drugs…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2