Browse Items (2505 total)

IMG_3315.JPG
Photographs of the historic marker at the cemetery as well as some grave markers. The Old Bethany Cemetery is located south of Aliceville in Pickens County in the area known as Vienna. It is next to the Old Bethany Primitive Baptist Church which is…

IMG_8334 (2).jpg
This photo of Dr. Sarah Woolfolk Wiggins was taken at the induction of Sarah Haynsworth Gayle into the Alabama Women’s Hall of Fame in 2016.  Wiggins, the University of Alabama, Department of History’s pioneering first female professor, earned her…

Astra Study Club 1950 grayscale Rotated copy.jpg
The Astra Study Club was founded in 1950, sponsored by an existing club, the Talisman Study Club. A Talisman Study Club committee, consisting of Mrs. Floyd Vaughn, Mrs. W.E. Reynolds and Mrs. Joe Haralson guided the club in its early days.

The…

Rosenwald.JPG
The plaque for the historic Rosenwald School stands in front of the school building at 120 Jim Locke Road in Pickensville, Ala.

The plaque reads:

The school was erected in 1925 and sits on three acres donated by two community citizens, Nunnie…

old center church.jpg
Old Center Church sits on New Watermelon Road in Tuscaloosa. Families that lived in the area help build the church in the late 1800s. Most of these families were members. The Christian, Robertson, Bedford and Dockery families were members and their…

Glenn School.jpg
The Glenn School was a one-room schoolhouse in Glenn, a settlement in Samantha in Tuscaloosa County, AL. The school was probably named for the post office in 1899. (Mary E. Cain became the postmaster of the Glenn Post Office on June 29, 1897).

Partlow.jpeg
The Lurleen Burns Wallace Chapel at Partlow State School and Hospital was dedicated on Sunday, September 27, 1970, at 10 a.m. Co-chairmen were Paul W. Bryant and Ralph Jordan.The program was led by the chairman of the building committee, Frank M.…

Bailey.jpg
The Bailey Tabernacle CME Church was founded in 1870 when the last 45 Black members of the Tuscaloosa First Methodist Church formed their own church. The original building was designed by Wallace A. Rayfield, a black architect. It was named for…

Brown.jpg
The Brown Memorial Church was founded in December 1880 as the Salem Presbyterian Church. The Black members of the First Presbyterian Church of Tuscaloosa wanted to have their own church and were assisted in this effort by Dr. Charles A. Stillman,…

Eugene Bailey.jpg
Eugene Bailey, judge of the inferior court of Tuscaloosa, sits between D.O. McClusky, (left) longtime administrator of Druid City Hospital, and A.K. "Temo" Callahan, who practiced law in Tuscaloosa for 72 years and served five terms in the Alabama…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2