Browse Items (2469 total)

Arts&Letters.jpg
The Arts and Letters Club in Tuscaloosa.

First row: Sis Partlow Pritchett, Charlotte McEachen, Sue C. Phifer, Netta J. Holley, Evelyn Bricken, Bealand Randal, Katherine Jordon and Mary Morgan.

Second row: Louise Moody, Marjorie Florhand,…

IMG_1200.JPG
A display for Child Safety Week was downtown at Greensboro Avenue and Broad Street (now University Boulevard) at the old flagpole, once a landmark at the intersection. The event was sponsored by WJRD Radio. The photo features prominent local sponsors…

F&O2.jpg
Thomas McAlpine "Tom" Ozment, a second generation owner, repairs a mimeograph machine in Fincher and Ozment Jewelers.

Fincher and Ozment Jewelers opened in 1904 on 6th Street in downtown Tuscaloosa.

Dr. Thomas Jefferson Ozment (1838-1916), a…

will2.pdf
This is a handwritten will of Dr. Peter Bryce, the first superintendent of Bryce Hospital and a pioneer in mental health care.

newly weds.jpg
Ladie Fonville Penick and Clifton Hewitt Penick are shown on their wedding day in front of the old Capitol in Tuscaloosa.

Penick was a lawyer and counsel for the board of trustees at the University of Alabama and part of the transaction of UA to…

Cedarwood home with Buck Whatley (1).jpg
The Cedarwood House was built in 1818 by Joseph Blodgett Stickney. This house represents a typical Alabama house of the early nineteenth century with steeply pitched gable roof additions and flanking vernacular Greek Revival wings of New England…

Rosenau Mills.jpg
On March 1, 1901, the Rosenau Hosiery Mill was established in south Tuscaloosa. The area became known as “Socktown.” It employed 200 men and women in the production of hose and socks. At the time, the hosiery mill was the only factory in Tuscaloosa…

BUSTATIONCAFE.jpg
The Bus Station and Café was located on the north side of U.S. Highway 82 just east of the intersection of Alabama Highway 17 in Reform. The building just to the left in the photo was a service station. At that time there were service stations on…

F & O men.jpg
Eugent Truman Ozment, founder of Fincher and Ozment Jewelers, left, stands with his son Tom Ozment (right) and grandson, Tommy Ozment.

Fincher and Ozment Jewelers opened in 1904 on 6th Street in downtown Tuscaloosa.

Dr. Thomas Jefferson Ozment…

Fincher & Ozment 1908 (2).tif
On the left is William H. Fincher; behind the case is Eugene Truman Ozment. Both men are founders of Fincher and Ozment Jewelers. The two men on the right are unidentified.

Fincher and Ozment Jewelers opened in 1904 on 6th Street in downtown…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2