Browse Items (2360 total)

Stallworth.jpg
Stallworth Lake was a recreational lake that was located at the foot of River Hill. The lake, which was built in 1918, had sliding boards, spring boards, diving towers, floating rafts, boating, a merry-go-round, and a miniature zoo. It became a city…

William T Wedgeworth 6-26-68.jpg
Cpl. William T. Wedgeworth was killed on June 17, 1968 while serving with the Company C, 503 Infantry Division, 4th Battalion. Cpl. Wedgeworth was a graduate of Northside High School who was living in Ohio at the time of his enlistment. Cpl.…

DIXIEAIR.jpg
Dixie Air Incorporated was located at the Hargrove Van De Graaff Field. In the 1950s, Dixie Air was not only a Fixed Base Operation (handling aircraft servicing needs) but also offered certified flight instruction. It was operated by "Doc" Carl,…

chicken.jpg
This business believed to have been located in the 15th Street/Hackberry Lane area in the 1950s featured chicken in a basket for $1.00.

IMG_20180601_0001.jpg
Located at 2001 6th Street (originally Cotton Street), the car dealership sold Chevrolets and Hudsons. Also known as Tuscaloosa Chevrolet, the business moved to Greensboro Avenue near the Black Warrior River. Later the building in this photograph was…

Diamond.jpg
The Diamond Theater opened in 1946 at 621 23rd Avenue in Tuscaloosa and closed in 1967. The building accommodated 500 and was fitted with the most modern cinema equipment, attractively decorated and completely fireproof. The theater and Diamond Drugs…

Flood.jpg
Taken on July 4, 1952, the photo shows a flooded area at the intersection of 8th Street and 23rd Avenue in Tuscaloosa. In the background is Barksdale and Sons Dry Cleaners at 2223 8th Street owned by E. Rush Barksdale, Jesse M. Barksdale and Leonard…

Robert Cozart 8-24-89.jpg
Maj. Robert Cozart was serving with the 164th Aviation Group, 214th Aviation Battalion, 1st Aviation Brigade when his plane went down over South Vietnam. Maj. Cozart was a graduate of Tuscaloosa High School. Maj. Cozart was listed as MIA until 1989…

UA Campus and Denny Chimes After Snow 3-19-1934.JPG
Denny Chimes and the campus of the University of Alabama following a March snowfall.

Denny Chimes, on the Quad at the University of Alabama, was built in 1929 to honor longtime University of Alabama President George H. Denny, who served as the…

Northport.jpg
A photo of the library in the enlarged recreation center in Northport. The 15-by-34 foot addition has more than doubled space to be used by the library. Mrs. Caroline Dickson, librarian, reported an increase in circulation. The number of adult…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2