Tuscaloosa Country Club

country club.jpg


Tuscaloosa Country Club


Country clubs


The Tuscaloosa Country Club, organized in 1921 and constructed in 1922, had a nine-hole golf course.

It was not the first golf course in Tuscaloosa. The first was the Riverside Golf Course, located on what was once Queen City Park and which had nine holes, sand greens and was open to the public.

As more people took up golf, plans were made for a private golf course. The course was built off Sixth Street in the city's West End under the direction of Charles Hall, then golf pro at the Birmingham Country Club. F. G. Blair was the club's first president, R.E. Dunham, vice-president, and Frank Maxwell, secretary-treasurer.

Ten years later, a devastating tornado rampaged through Tuscaloosa County that left only the basement walls at the Tuscaloosa Country Club. The club then ran into financial difficulties and the mortgage was foreclosed.

In 1937, The country club rose again as the Country Club of Tuscaloosa with Hayse Tucker as the new president. In 1947, an additional nine holes were added.

In recent years the country club has experienced financial difficulties. In 2013, it was sold to TCC Acquisition Partners LLC. The new owners planned to do residential development on part of the country club property with plans to keep the club house and to maintain the 18-hole course at least temporarily.


Tuscaloosa News


Tuscaloosa News Archive


April 25, 1969, June 5, 2013


Betty Slowe (Description)




Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format