Fellowship Baptist Church

Fellowship.jpg

Title

Fellowship Baptist Church

Subject

Churches

Description

Fellopwship Baptist Church is located on the Gordo-Reform Road. It was established in 1832 and was constituted an orthodox Baptist church by the then Cahaba Asssociation on August 3, 1833. Originally located in the  Hargrove Community, legendary tales report that the first building was of log structure with wooden shutter windows and a fireplace.

On May 2, 1850, William and Suzannah Whittle sold the present church site to the Fellowship Church for $28.00 and a church was built on the site.  It was a wooden structure, having shuttered windows, a wood-burning heater and using candlelight. In 1861, the church decided to organize a Sunday School and 76 members were present: 20 men, 28 women and 28 slaves. A balcony in the church was used for slaves to attend services.

During the Civil War the church was open for Divine worship once each month. R.F. Hunnicutt and F.C. Johnston are recorded in the minutes of the church as being killed in action on May 15 and 16, 1864, during the battle of Resacca, Georgia, which was staged during Sherman's march to the sea.

The present church was dedicated in December 1955, replacing the old building. A monument to Captain William Dollar, said to be a Revolutionary War soldier who had the first house in the community, is located in the church cemetery.

Source

Betty Slowe

Date

2022

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Format

JPG; Dimensions 480 x 640; Size 114 KB

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2593

Coverage

Pickens County (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking

Geolocation