Browse Items (121 total)

  • Collection: Houses

mildred-warner-house_32c4c57b81.jpg
The Moody-Warner House, was built around 1822 by Davis Scott as a home when he came to Tuscaloosa as a merchant.

The house had a series of owners until it became the home of the Washington Moodys. Moody was the grandson of the founder of the…

murphycollinshouse2_af5d5a6d4d.jpg
The Murphy-Collins House on Paul W. Bryant Drive and Lurleen Wallace Boulevard South is home to the Murphy African-American Museum. The museum houses a diverse collection of black memorabilia and is a testimony to the contributions and accomplishment…

tusccoboardeducation_222a594d36.jpg
The two-story Searcy House was built in 1904 by George Searcy, a Tuscaloosa banker and businessman. It was sold to Tuscaloosa County in 1925 for $35,000. The building was used for both a public library and the administrative offices of the Tuscaloosa…

old-university-cluba_0c394568ef.jpg
The University Club, sometimes referred to as the "Governor's Mansion", was built in 1834 by Captain James Dearing who piloted the first steamboat from Mobile to Tuscaloosa. The house went through many owners in the 1800s, one of which was Arthur P.…

1113stillmanhousea_0328ec8790.jpg
The Stillman House at 1008 21st Avenue was built around 1870. Dr. Charles Allen Stillman purchased this house for Stillman College (then Stillman Institute) in 1881. The college remained at this location until 1897, serving as a training site for…

stillman-house-historica_563ce11bcd.jpg
The Stillman House, located at 1008 21st Avenue was built around 1870 . Dr. Charles Allen Stillman purchased this house for Stillman College (then Stillman Institute) in 1881. The college remained at this location until 1897, serving as a training…

Maxwell-Richardson House.jpg
This Tuscaloosa house was built between 1906 and 1907 by Frederick Richard Maxwell Sr. and Lucy Maxwell and remained in the family until 1974 when Mrs. Jennie Maxwell Richardson, daughter of the builder, sold the house to Ted Hellums, who used it as…

postcard-major-spencea_a52f6f0bc0[1].jpg
This home, originally known as the Alexander B. Dearing Mansion, was built between 1831 and 1842 by Alexander Dearing, who made his fortune in slaves and cotton in Mississippi before moving to Tuscaloosa. Although Dearing owned a plantation in…

entrance-to-pinehurst-c1910a_ba7f98e293[1].jpg
"Entrance to Pinehurst Subdivision"

The Pinehurst Company was formed in 1909 and consisted of three men: Dean Charles H. Barnwell of the College of Arts and Sciences, Dean Kaye of the Engineering School, and Frank Blair, who was the originator…

friedman-home-c-1910a_f45b6e771b[1].jpg
The postcard reads "A typical Southern Home - Residence of B. Friedman, Tuscaloosa, Ala."

The Battle-Friedman House was built about 1835 by Alfred Battle, a North Carolina native who had come to Tuscaloosa in 1821, and his wife, Millicent. A…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2