Stillman House, 1008 21st Avenue

1113stillmanhousea_0328ec8790.jpg

Title

Stillman House, 1008 21st Avenue

Subject

Buildings
Historic houses
Colleges
African-American--History--Tuscaloosa

Description

The Stillman House at 1008 21st Avenue was built around 1870. Dr. Charles Allen Stillman purchased this house for Stillman College (then Stillman Institute) in 1881. The college remained at this location until 1897, serving as a training site for African-American Presbyterian ministers from all over the South.

In 1981, the house was restored and the City of Tuscaloosa deeded it to the National Alumni Association of Stillman College, who renovated it in 2009.

Source

Tuscaloosa News Archive

Date

November 10, 2009

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Relation

The Tuscaloosa News

Type

Photograph

Identifier

283

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking