Stillman House, 1008 21st Avenue, circa 1890

stillman-house-historica_563ce11bcd.jpg

Title

Stillman House, 1008 21st Avenue, circa 1890

Subject

Buildings
Houses and homes
Colleges
African-American--History--Tuscaloosa

Description

The Stillman House, located at 1008 21st Avenue was built around 1870 . Dr. Charles Allen Stillman purchased this house for Stillman College (then Stillman Institute) in 1881. The college remained at this location until 1897, serving as a training site for African-American Presbyterian ministers from all over the South.

In 1981, the house was restored and the City of Tuscaloosa deeded it to the National Alumni Association of Stillman College. The Association renovated the structure in 2009.

Past Horizons, p.22

Source

Tuscaloosa News Archive

Date

circa 1890

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)
Tuscaloosa Public Library

Type

Photograph

Identifier

284

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking