Browse Items (121 total)

  • Collection: Houses

Browne Randell House-h.jpg
This simple, one-story Gothic style house was built in the 1870s when Alabama was still under a Reconstruction government and attempting to overcome the aftermath of the Civil War. It was the first new structure built in Tuscaloosa after the…

Tags:

Buck House.jpg
The Old Buck Boarding House, located at 1816 Broad Street (now University Boulevard) just west of Queen City Avenue, was built around 1820. Ownership of the house changed many times over the years, but the Buck family owned it for many years. Records…

Tags:

C C Kilgore House-h.jpg
The C.C. Kilgore House was built in 1869 or 1870 by Bryce Hospital for Captain C.C. Kilgore. Captain Kilgore was the first engineer for the hospital. The house was one of Tuscaloosa's only notable Reconstruction-era houses. In 1976 the house was…

Carson House-h1.jpg
This house, formerly known as the Carson-Mayfield-Sutley House, is located at 610 36th Avenue and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Described in "Past Horizons," Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society, 1978:

The house has an…

Cedarwood home with Buck Whatley (1).jpg
The Cedarwood House was built in 1818 by Joseph Blodgett Stickney. This house represents a typical Alabama house of the early nineteenth century with steeply pitched gable roof additions and flanking vernacular Greek Revival wings of New England…

maxwell10_2229f85536.jpg
Originally the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles N.Maxwell, constructed in 1911 on the corner of then-unpaved 7th Street and 21st Avenue. The house had entrances on both streets.


Maxwell was a local grocer and served as clerk in the probate office…

maxwellhouse_b600ff63be.jpg
Originally the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles N. Maxwell, constructed in 1911 on the corner of then-unpaved 7th Street and 21st Avenue. The house had entrances on both streets.

Maxwell was a grocer and served as chief clerk in the probate office…

Cochran House 001.jpg
The Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman. It was…

Stillman Campus.jpg
The William C. Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman.…

Cochrane Home.jpg
The Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman. It was…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2