Buck Boarding House

Buck House1.jpg
Buck House2.jpg

Title

Buck Boarding House

Subject

Buck Boarding House

Description

The Old Buck Boarding House, located at 1816 Broad Street (now University Boulevard) in Tuscaloosa just west of Queen City Avenue, was built around 1820. Ownership of the house changed many times over the years, but the Buck family owned it for many years. Records show it was deeded to Nellie Buck Morris in 1926. The house provided boarding for state dignitaries when Tuscaloosa was the state capitol and was later used for apartments.

Originally, it was a handsome, elegant mansion with beautiful draperies and antiques from abroad.

The house was demolished in 1950 and the lot was sold to Owen Meredith and sons. The slave house still stands at the site of the house.

Source

John T. Harris

Date

circa 1940

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2577

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Social Bookmarking