Browse Items (112 total)

  • Collection: Community Organizations

Barnes Y group 2.jpg
The need for a branch of the YMCA to serve the black community was expressed in 1953. A membership drive was inaugurated with a “Kick-off” dinner in the auditorium of Industrial High School on January 2, 1953. A goal of 500 members was established…

Big Al with Bookmobile at Read Bama Read 3-10-12.jpg
Big Al, the famous mascot of the University of Alabama had a fun time with the Tuscaloosa Public Library's Bookmobile at a Read Bama Read Event.

Rosedale.tif
The first book station within the Tuscaloosa city limits was opened in the community hall of Rosedale Courts. The caption under the photograph states:

New Book Station Opens at Rosedale - Resident of Rosedale Courts were on hand last night at the…

Bookmobile 1.tif
A photograph of students at Bethel School enjoying a visit of the Tuscaloosa Public Library Bookmobile.

One out of 33 - The Bookmobile visits 33 schools in the county and 17 adult stations each month. This picture, taken at Bethel School, shows a…

Bookmobile 2.tif
Photograph and description of the renovations of the bookmobile. The caption below the photograph states:

Almost like new - The Bookmobile of the Tuscaloosa County Library is being inspected following a recent overhauling and painting job. Left…

Books For the Blind 9-13-81.jpg
For many years at the Main Branch of the Tuscaloosa Public Library, Librarian Barbara Jordan was in charge of the Blind and Physically Handicapped Sub-Regional Library. Providing everything from books on tape to Braille Periodicals, the Library for…

Brown Branch Groundbreaking.JPG
Judge Hardy McCollum and other elected officials break ground on the Bobby Miller Center, 300 Bobby Miller Parkway, that includes the Brown Branch of the Tuscaloosa Public Library.

TPL 5.jpg
The photograph provides an aerial view of the card catalog at the Tuscaloosa Public Library. The card catalog included information on all library materials owned by the library including authors, titles, subjects, dates, locations, etc.

Central Y.jpg
The new building was formally opened and dedicated on Sunday, April 5, 1959.

There were two entrances on 10th Street (now Bryant Drive), one to the adult lobby and one to the teenage lobby. The building included a swimming pool, gymnasium, shower…

Chamber of Commerce Trip to Huntsville361.jpg
The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama members preparing to depart on a trip to the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2