Benjamin Barnes Branch, YMCA, Management Committee, 1954

Barnes Y group 2.jpg

Title

Benjamin Barnes Branch, YMCA, Management Committee, 1954

Subject

Young Men's Christian Association (Tuscaloosa, AL)
African-American--History--Tuscaloosa

Description

The need for a branch of the YMCA to serve the black community was expressed in 1953. A membership drive was inaugurated with a “Kick-off” dinner in the auditorium of Industrial High School on January 2, 1953. A goal of 500 members was established by the organizing committee. In October, 1953, a petition was presented to Mr. J. Oviatt Bowers, President of the YMCA, requesting a Branch of the YMCA of Tuscaloosa for the black community.

The Benjamin Barnes Branch to serve the black community in the county was organized in January 1954, with Mr. Robert L. Glynn as Chairman.

The photograph shows members of the Committee of Management:

Left to right, seated: Mrs. A.B. McKenzie, Miss Jessie Freeman, Mrs. B.W. Finch, R.L. Glynn, Miss W.B. Mitchell, Mrs. Eva Hardy. Standing: George Thompson, E. J. Wright, James Collins, Fred Edmonds, Dr. A. F. Saville, Sam Gray, Dr. M.P. Gilmer, Henry B. Jackson, E. A. Lee, Rev. F. H. M. Williams, Rev. C. H. Williams, McDonald Hughes, Dr. J. W. Robinson. Not shown: Mrs. Katherine Bertrand, L. V. Coleman, Rev. C. L. Johnson, Frank Pl Thomas, and Joseph Carpenter.

This photograph was used in an advertisement for membership.

Source

YMCA

Publisher

The Alabama Citizen

Date

January 23, 1954

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)
Tuscaloosa Public Library

Type

Photograph

Identifier

913

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 inches x 9.5 inches

Social Bookmarking