Central YMCA Building, 2405 Paul Bryant Drive, 1959

Central Y.jpg

Title

Central YMCA Building, 2405 Paul Bryant Drive, 1959

Subject

Young Men's Christian Association (Tuscaloosa, AL)

Description

The new building was formally opened and dedicated on Sunday, April 5, 1959.

There were two entrances on 10th Street (now Bryant Drive), one to the adult lobby and one to the teenage lobby. The building included a swimming pool, gymnasium, shower and locker room, club and game rooms, a chapel and residence rooms for 32 men and 16 women.

In addition to sports activities, the Y provided support for many clubs such as the Gra-Y Club for boys in the 4-6 grades led by UA students which include sports and studying the purpose and meaning of the YMCA organization. There were also meetings of the Hi-Y and Tri-Hi-Y, Indian Guides for boys 6-9 years of age and their dads and informal school which provided classes such as Bridge, Teenage Dance Class, Effective Public Speaking and Ceramics.

Source

YMCA

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

909

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

9.5 inches x 7.5 inches

Social Bookmarking