Benjamin Barnes Branch, YMCA, 1954

Masonic.jpg

Title

Benjamin Barnes Branch, YMCA, 1954

Subject

Young Men's Christian Association (Tuscaloosa, AL)
African-American--History--Tuscaloosa

Description

This photograph is of the Masonic Building, corner of 32nd Avenue and 18th Street in Tuscaloosa. The first floor of the Masonic building was leased for $50 per month from July 1, 1954 to June 30, 1955, for the Benjamin Barnes Branch of the YMCA to serve the blacks of the county.

The Barnes Branch was organized in January 1954, with Mr. Robert L. Glynn as Chairman. Mr. Robert J. Smith was employed as Executive Secretary and began work July 1, 1954. An open house was held in November, 1954.

The branch was named for Benjamin H. Barnes, a teacher in the city school system, an active member of the First African Baptist Church, and a leader of the community.

Source

YMCA

Date

1954

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)
Tuscaloosa Public Library

Type

Photograph

Identifier

914

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

6.25 inches x 4.5 inches

Social Bookmarking