Browse Items (97 total)

  • Collection: Health Care and Hospitals

2 (267x300) (2).jpg
These items belonged to the late Ola Belle Mullenix Smith who graduated from the Bryce Hospital School of Nursing in 1940 after three years of study at the institution. Smith spent most of her nursing career as a nurse at Bryce Hospital, retiring in…

Mickey 041.JPG
Dr. Peter Bryce, the first superintendent of Bryce Hospital in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and his wife Ellen Peter Bryce are buried on the lawn of the hospital. The monument reads:

Peter Bryce, M.D.
March 5, 1834
August 14, 1892
For 32 years…

Mickey 040.JPG
Historical markers are at the gravesite of Dr. Peter Bryce and Mrs. Ellen Peter Bryce located on the lawn of Bryce Hospital in Tuscaloosa AL.   Text of the marker:Dr. Peter & Mrs. Ellen Peter-Bryce Gravesite Tuscaloosa County Dr. Peter Bryce,…

The Lurleen Burns Wallace Chapel at Partlow State School and Hospital was dedicated on Sunday, September 27, 1970, at 10 a.m. Co-chairmen were Paul W. Bryant and Ralph Jordan.The program was led by the chairman of the building committee, Frank M.…

Bryce Letter page 1 001.jpg
The letter, written on February 18, 1866, by Dr. Peter Bryce (1834-1892), first superintendent of what is now Bryce Hospital, to his wife, Ellen Bryce, who was in Columbia, S.C.

The letter, which is written over the course of three days, is eight…

Advertisement for G.G. Stallworth, a surgeon dentist located in Tuscaloosa over the Merchant's National Bank.

The Corolla, v. 4, 1897

Northington p 001.jpg
In 1952, the old Army hospital at Northington in Tuscaloosa was used as a temporary site while the new Druid City Hospital was being built. The move to the new Druid City Hospital took place on Dec. 11, 1952 and Life magazine documented the move in…

Northington 2 001.jpg
The move of the Druid City Hospital from the old Army hospital building on the Northington Campus to its new building two miles away was covered by Life Magazine in its January12, 1953 issue.

Northington3 001.jpg
The move of the Druid City Hospital from the old Army hospital building at Northington Campus in Tuscaloosa to the new hospital building in 1953 was covered by Life Magazine.

Searcy House.jpg
The Searcy Building, named for Dr. James T. Searcy, the second superintendent of Bryce hospital, was a replacement of a wooden building on the Bryce Grounds. Construction began in 1946 and was completed before October, 1948. It has been a building…


Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2