Searcy Building, Bryce Hospital Campus

Searcy House.jpg

Title

Searcy Building, Bryce Hospital Campus

Subject

Mental health facilities

Description

The Searcy Building, named for Dr. James T. Searcy, the second superintendent of Bryce hospital, was a replacement of a wooden building on the Bryce Grounds. Construction began in 1946 and was completed before October, 1948. It has been a building for geriatric men, an overflow ward for the Forensic Unit before Taylor Hardin Secure Medical Facility was finished and home for the Vocational Rehabilitation Unit.

When the Bryce campus was purchased by the University of Alabama the building was renovated in 2013-14.

Creator

Richard C. Bradt

Source

Elizabeth Bradt

Date

2013

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1085

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

6 inches x 4 inches

Social Bookmarking