Dedication Program for Lurleen Burns Wallace Chapel, 1970

Partlow.jpeg

Title

Dedication Program for Lurleen Burns Wallace Chapel, 1970

Subject

Chapels
Partlow State School and Hospital

Description

The Lurleen Burns Wallace Chapel at Partlow State School and Hospital was dedicated on Sunday, September 27, 1970, at 10 a.m. Co-chairmen were Paul W. Bryant and Ralph Jordan.

The program was led by the chairman of the building committee, Frank M. Taylor.

The invocation was presented by the Rev. Joseph G. Vath, Bishop of Birmingham, Alabama.  Remarks were made by Paul W. Bryant, fund drive co-chairman. 

Keys to the chapel were presented by Charles F. Davis, Jr., architect; Neil C. Morgan, general contractor; and Harry A. Dorman, president of the Chapel Fund.  The keys were accepted by Dr. Thomas Herbert Patton Jr., Superintendent of Partlow School, and S. S. Allen, Director of Engineering, Department of Mental Health. 

After a responsive reading led by the Rev. Clyde Brazeal, the benediction was presented by Dr. C. Roy Woodruff, Director of the Department of Pastoral Care and Education.

Partlow opened in 1919 as the Alabama Home for Mental Defectives. In 1927 it was renamed the Partlow State School for Deficients after its founder Dr. William D. Partlow who was superintendent of Bryce Hospital from 1919 to 1950.  In December, 2011 the facility was closed. The site has been renovated and now houses the University of Alabama Human Resources Department.

Creator

Bryce-Partlow Chapel Fund

Source

Steve Davis

Date

Sept. 27, 1970

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Document

Identifier

2568

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Social Bookmarking