Browse Items (48 total)

  • Tags: Downtown

Browne Randell House-h.jpg
This simple, one-story Gothic style house was built in the 1870s when Alabama was still under a Reconstruction government and attempting to overcome the aftermath of the Civil War. It was the first new structure built in Tuscaloosa after the…

Tags:

Buck House.jpg
The Old Buck Boarding House, located at 1816 Broad Street (now University Avenue) just west of Queen City Avenue, was built around 1820. Ownership of the house changed many times over the years, but the Buck family owned it for many years. Records…

Tags:

Harrison 1.jpg
Central Drug Company - Harco was located at 2315 University Blvd in Tuscaloosa. This picture shows the store's Rexall affiliation.

In 1941, 16 years after receiving an Auburn University pharmacy degree, James Harrison and his wife, Elizabeth, were…

Tags:

Harrison 5.JPG
Central Drug Store was located at 2315 Broad Street (now University Blvd) in Tuscaloosa. This picture shows the original mosaic tile flooring along with the store's soda fountain on the right side.

In 1941, 16 years after receiving an Auburn…

Tags:

Harrison 3.jpg
This photo of the Central Drug Store shows the original mosaic tile flooring along with the store's soda fountain and booths on the left side.

Central Drug Store on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) was a landmark. In 1941, 16 years after…

Tags:

Harrison 4.JPG
Central Drug store's soda fountain shown in this photo was a very popular meeting place for university students who shopped downtown.

Central Drug Store on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) was a landmark. In 1941, 16 years after receiving…

Tags:

Harrison 6.JPG
Jim Harrison, Sr. and his son, Ben Harrison, are shown after Central Drug Store was remodeled in the mid-1970s. The soda fountain and booths were removed and a large photography center was added.

In 1941, 16 years after receiving an Auburn…

Tags:

Dearing Swaim.jpg
This home, originally known as the Alexander B. Dearing Mansion, was built between 1831 and 1842 by Alexander Dearing, who made his fortune in slaves and cotton in Mississippi before moving to Tuscaloosa. Although Dearing owned a plantation in…

Tags:

fire 001.jpg
Horse-drawn fire equipment was on the ground floor with Tuscaloosa Town Hall on the second floor. The building stood facing Greensboro Avenue at the site of the Bama Theatre.

Tags:

laf2 001.jpg
The Tuscaloosa Fire Department 1923 LaFrance pumper in a fire prevention parade on University Boulevard in 1939. Waddell Bailey was a firefighter who had died earlier that year.

In 1939, the Tuscaloosa Fire Department had 18 firefighters and 423…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2