Central Drug Store, 2315 Broad Street, circa 1975

Harrison 6.JPG

Title

Central Drug Store, 2315 Broad Street, circa 1975

Subject

Drugstores

Description

Jim Harrison, Sr. and his son, Ben Harrison, are shown after Central Drug Store was remodeled in the mid-1970s. The soda fountain and booths were removed and a large photography center was added.

In 1941, 16 years after receiving an Auburn University pharmacy degree, James Harrison and his wife, Elizabeth, were able to open the first family-owned store, Central Drug in Tuscaloosa.

When his son, Jim Jr., graduated from pharmacy school in 1955, the elder Harrison acquired a second store, Druid Drug, on the campus of the University of Alabama that Jim Jr. and his brother, Ben, managed. Druid Drug was the favorite coffee hangout of Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant and his staff.

Later more drugstores were added and the Harco Drug Company was formed. The company was sold to Rite Aid in 1997.

This original location of Central Drug on University Blvd. is still associated with the Harrison family and currently houses Harrison Galleries (2013).

Source

Personal Collection of Jim Harrison III

Date

Circa 1975

Contributor

Brenda Harris (Description)
Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1048

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 inches x 10 inches

Social Bookmarking