Grand Opening of the Bama Theatre, 1938

bama-theater-grand-opening-4-12-1938-_86b9a03698.jpg

Title

Grand Opening of the Bama Theatre, 1938

Subject

Theaters
Whilldin, D.O. (David Oliver) 1881-1970

Description

The previous city hall on this same site came down in 1936, and a new city hall was built under the Public Works Administration for a cost of $200,000. The building housed city offices and meeting rooms, an auditorium/movie theater, a barbershop, and a drugstore. The building was designed by architect D.O. Whilldin.

The theatre initially was leased to the Bama Theatre Company for a period of twenty years. On the afternoon of April 12, 1938, a parade led by the Million Dollar Band started at the university and marched to the Bama, where a PWA officials presented the keys to the building to Mayor Luther Davis. Mr. Davis was also a pharmacist who occupied the drugstore in the building for many years.

The marquee, sporting banners announcing the grand opening, advertises the movie “Hawaii Calls” with child actor Bobby Breen and Ned Sparks.

Source

Personal Collection of Jason Townsend

Date

April 12, 1938

Contributor

Whitney Telle (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

33

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking