Alston Building, circa 1915
The Alston Building is located on the southeast corner of the intersection of Greensboro Avenue and Sixth Street. It was completed in 1910 on the site of the old Tuscaloosa County courthouse, which had stood there since 1845. The Alston Building was the city’s first “skyscraper”, and was originally regarded as the tallest building on a dirt street in America. At the time of this view the building was surmounted by a huge lighted sign “Try Tuscaloosa”, the slogan of the Tuscaloosa Board of Trade, later to become the Chamber of Commerce. In addition to the sign, the building was topped by a lighted garden which was the scene of many social events.
Personal Collection of Jason Townsend
Whitney Telle (Description)