Alberta City Cemetery

alb.png

Title

Alberta City Cemetery

Subject

Cemeteries

Description

A historical marker for the Alberta City Cemetery on 13th Street in Tuscaloosa reads:

Land for Alberta Cemetery acquired 1912 by Alberta City Methodist Church: first burial June 1914; operated as church cemetery until 1938 when Alberta City Methodist Church relocated to 21st Street East. During depression years of late 1930s, local church members and persons from many areas and denominations were buried here since there was no charge for lots. Hundreds of local citizens are buried here, most without markers.

In 1955 the cemetery became property of the City of Tuscaloosa due to non-payment of paving cost on adjacent street.

The Rainbow Garden Club of Tuscaloosa initiated and carried through a clean-up beautification project for cemetery and officially dedicated marker naming:

Alberta City Cemetery, December 9, 1979
Fencing and landscaping completed 1985
Historical marker erected 1987

Creator

Betty Slowe

Source

Betty Slowe

Date

April 5, 2017

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2328

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking