Fort W.W. Brandon Armory

armory.JPG

Title

Fort W.W. Brandon Armory

Description

The City of Tuscaloosa unveiled a historical marker at the site of the old Fort W.W. Brandon Armory at Fire Station No. 2 on Paul W. Bryant Drive on June 12, 2004.

The marker reads:

The Tuscaloosa Armory was located on this site from 1938 to 1981 and was home of the famed 31st Infantry (Dixie). In 1968, the Tuscaloosa unit received a brigade headquarters under the command of the 30th Armored Division. In 1973, the 31st Armored Brigade was allocated to the Alabama Army National Guard and assigned to the Tuscaloosa Armory.

The Tuscaloosa Armory was named for William W. Brandon. A major in the Spanish-American War of 1898, Brandon was appointed Adjutant General of the Alabama National Guard from 1899 to 1907. He also held public office as City Clerk of Tuscaloosa, Member of the State Legislature, State Auditor, and Probate Judge of Tuscaloosa County. Elected governor of Alabama in 1922, he served until 1927. He died in December 1934 in Tuscaloosa.

The University of Alabama purchased the property in 1970 and it was later acquired by the City of Tuscaloosa for the relocation of Fire Station No. 2, which previously stood in the shadows of Bryant-Denny stadium at the intersection of Paul W. Bryant Drive and 10th Avenue.

Former commanders of the units of Brandon Armory include: Col Tandy Barrett 1933-1950, Col. Ernest Collins 1950-1959, BG James R. Duren Jr. 1959-1969, Col. Beasor Walker 1970-1973, BG Henry Cobb Jr. 1973-1975, BG Clarence Rhea 1975-1980, and BG Robert Lott 1980-1981

Creator

Betty Slowe

Source

Betty Slowe

Date

April 5, 2017

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2327

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking