Jemison Oviatt Bowers, 1901 - 1966

Bowers.jpg

Title

Jemison Oviatt Bowers, 1901 - 1966

Subject

Businessmen
Civic leaders

Description

Jemison Oviatt Bowers (known as J. Oviatt) was born in the Pineywoods community in Tuscaloosa County to Edgar M. Bowers and Mary Letitia Crow Bowers. He attended the old Stafford School and graduated from Tuscaloosa High School. He attended the University of Alabama but left to go to work before getting his degree.

He worked at the Holt Central Foundry where he ran an electric crane but left to join his father in a tire repair business. In 1926 his business was expanded and called the Bowers Tire and Supply Company. He changed in 1935 to a new business buying and salvaging old houses and selling hardware and coal as the J. Oviatt Bowers Company.

Bowers was, however, more than a businessman. He was an active civic leader and devoted member of the First Christian Church of Tuscaloosa. He was very committed to the development of the YMCA serving both locally and in the national organization. He also worked for the Boy Scouts, Tuscaloosa Community Chest (now known as United Way), Tuscaloosa Chamber of Commerce and the development of River Road Park.

He received many awards for his community service - Citizenship Award by the Civitan Club and the Rotary Rose in 1952, the naming of the J. Oviatt Bowers Park, and in 2002 made a member of the Tuscaloosa County Civic Hall of Fame.

He was married to Corinne Wise Bowers and had two sons, Dr. Jemison Oviatt Bowers, Jr. and John Edward Bowers.

Tuscaloosa News, August 20, 1966

Source

YMCA

Date

Circa 1954

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1018

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

7 inches by 9.5 inches

Social Bookmarking