First Presbyterian Church, 900 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, 1969

pres church.jpg

Title

First Presbyterian Church, 900 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, 1969

Subject

Churches

Description

First Presbyterian Church was the Tuscaloosa News "Feature Church" on November 14, 1969.

"The First Presbyterian Church was formed May 6, 1820 by sixteen people originally from the same section of South Carolina. Rev. Andrew Brown was the first minister.

In 1877 Dr. Charles H. Stillman aroused the church to the need of education for the negro and founded Stillman Institute. During the ministry of Dr. Charles M. Boyd 1910-1931 the present sanctuary was built.

The dedication of the Educational Building was July 9, 1961. The educational program is designed primarily to introduce young lives to the redemptive purposes of our Lord and to emphasize their nurture and growth in spiritual matters.

The Westervelt-Warner Chapel was dedicated May 19, 1961. The Chapel was built in the memory of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Eugene Westervelt by their son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. H.D. Warner. The chapel serves as a permanent Memorial to the family's generosity and benevolence."

Source

Tuscaloosa News

Publisher

Tuscaloosa News

Date

November 14, 1969

Contributor

Tuscaloosa Public Library

Rights

Tuscaloosa News

Type

Newspaper

Identifier

1017

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Newspaper

Social Bookmarking