Atlanta Store Burns, 1914

Atlanta 001.jpg

Title

Atlanta Store Burns, 1914

Subject

Stores, Retail

Description

The Atlanta Store stood at the corner of Broad Street (now University Boulevard) and Market Street (now Greensboro Avenue) where the 10-story bank building stands now as a Tuscaloosa landmark.

The store was owned by Bernard Friedman and Emmanuel Loveman until 1885 when it was sold to Herman Rosenau and Victor Friedman, the owners when the store burned in 1914.

The Atlanta Store advertised in the 1870s that it offered wholesale and retail, foreign and domestic, dry goods including boots, shoes, hats and notions. Custom-made clothing was a specialty of its tailoring establishment.

The site remained empty until Merchant's Bank built the present bank building that opened in 1925.

Date

1914

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)
Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1011

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

3 1/2inches x 5 inches

Social Bookmarking