Browse Items (61 total)

  • Collection: Education

1896_corolla_005.jpg
An advertisement for the Tuscaloosa Female College in the 1896 Corolla, the University of Alabama yearbook.

In 1836 Baptists established the Alabama Female Atheneum which became the Tuscaloosa Female College in 1854. This building housed the…

Washington Hotel414.jpg
In 1836 Baptists established the Alabama Female Atheneum which became the Tuscaloosa Female College in 1854. This building housed the woman's college for many years.

In front of the school is a wagon of the Kaul Lumber Company.

tuscaloosa-female-college-ca_21f9565584.jpg
In 1836 Baptists established the Alabama Female Atheneum which became the Tuscaloosa Female College in 1854. This building housed the woman's college for many years. Later it was a site of a school for boys.

dedication_12f725b527[1].jpg
Dedication of the gymnasium of Tuscaloosa County High School to Adrian McKinzey. Left-to-Right: Dr. Charles Sprayberry, Coach Adrian McKinzey, Earl Hydrick, Mrs. McKinzey, and James Barnett.

drivers-eda_a09eb574ae.jpg
Coach Adrian McKinzey teaches driver education to students Barbara Bonner Shields and Beatrice Rice Acker at Tuscaloosa County High School.

schoolboard1895_02368b858f.jpg
Members of the first board of education for the City of Tuscaloosa. Pictured from left to right are: E. N. C. Snow, Vice President; Carlton Mitchell, Superintendent; E. S. Chisholm; Festus Fitts, Secretary-Treasurer; W. C. Jemison (Mayor), President;…

Panoramic view of Stillman Institute.jpg
"Stillman Institute (Colored) - Tuscaloosa."

This panoramic view shows the view along the road that is now Stillman Boulevard.

report card.jpg
This is a report card for Bruce Davis when he was in the 6th grade at Stafford School in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

staffordschool_5532176a32.jpg
Originally built in 1830 as a girls’ school, the building was located on the southwest corner of 9th Street and 22nd Avenue. The school property was purchased in 1859 by Samuel M. Stafford, a professor at the University of Alabama, and his wife…

stafford-school-1901-1907a_1bd21f8b45.jpg
This postcard of the Stafford School, the first public school in Tuscaloosa, says, "One of our graded public schools where 535 children (whites only) go to school daily." The school was located at 2209 9th Street in Tuscaloosa.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2