Browse Items (206 total)

  • Collection: Businesses

0c573d653cc495a6b5984be64bc4c871.jpg
Allen & Jemison Hardware Company was organized in 1883 when Thomas B. Allen bought a half interest in a hardware business owned and founded by William C. Jemison in 1878. Jemison was president until he sold out to the company, resigning as president.…

425405f1b8221af6fe35d7afb488e0d9.jpg
Abe Brown established Brown’s Dollar store in May 1898 and moved to the southeast corner of Broad (now University Boulevard) and Greensboro Avenue in 1906.

He built the current building known as Brown’s Corner in 1926. Brown’s Department Store…

695b1f813dbcb6d1dfe1eff948e61b6b.jpg
Allen & Jemison Hardware Company was organized in 1883 when Thomas B. Allen bought a half interest in a hardware business owned and founded by William C. Jemison in 1878. Jemison was president until he sold out to the company, resigning as president.…

11f4917b68afc1330f26aa0695bc2992.jpg
Allen & Jemison Hardware Company was organized in 1883 when Thomas B. Allen bought a half interest in a hardware business owned and founded by William C. Jemison in 1878. Jemison was president until he sold out to the company, resigning as president.…

allen--jemison-1946_0cad5611c6.jpg
Allen & Jemison Hardware Company was organized in 1883 when Thomas B. Allen bought a half interest in a hardware business owned and founded by William C. Jemison in 1878. Jemison was president until he sold out to the company, resigning as president.…

snowprince1_c4f017744a.jpg
The Snow and Prince Store on the Western corner of Greensboro Avenue and Broad Street, now University Boulevard.

The store was owned by E.N.C. Snow and A.P. Prince. It was established in 1889 . The name changed to Prince and Son a few years later…

mclester-circa-1908_e15fbce60f.jpg
The McLester Hotel was built in 1887 on the northwest corner of the intersection of Greensboro Avenue and Sixth Street. The capital for the building was furnished by Mrs. E.N.C. Snow, Mrs. William A. Leland, Mrs. John R. Kennedy, and the old…

mclester-circa-1920_98b157ab21.jpg
The McLester Hotel was enlarged and modernized in 1913. The lower right corner of the postcard shows the water fountain that was in the middle of Greensboro Avenue and 6th Street.

The McLester Hotel was built in 1887 on the northwest corner at…

mclester-lobby-circa-1910_9af60d0bbb.jpg
"Lobby McLester Hotel, Tuskaloosa, Ala." The McLester Hotel was built in 1887 on the northwest corner of the intersection of Greensboro Avenue and Sixth Street. The capital for the building was furnished by Mrs. E.N.C. Snow, Mrs. William A. Leland,…

browns-dept-store-early-196_4e603a4d08[1].jpg
Abe Brown established Brown Brother’s Dollar store in May 1898 and moved to the southeast corner of Broad (now University Boulevard) and Greensboro Avenue in 1906.

He built the current building known as Brown’s Corner in 1926. Brown’s Department…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2