Bama Theatre Marquee, 1976

90efa5f4f291823cb94e2ded15522c28.jpg

Title

Bama Theatre Marquee, 1976

Subject

Theaters
Whilldin, D.O. (David Oliver), 1881-1970

Description

The marquee of the Bama Theatre as it looked in 1976.

The previous city hall on this same site came down in 1936, and a new city hall was built under the Public Works Administration for a cost of $200,000. The building housed city offices and meeting rooms, an auditorium/movie theater, a barbershop, and a drugstore. The building was designed by architect D.O. Whilldin.

The theatre initially was leased to the Bama Theatre Company for a period of twenty years. On the afternoon of April 12, 1938, a parade led by the Million Dollar Band started at the university and marched to the Bama, where a PWA officials presented the keys to the building to Mayor Luther Davis. Mr. Davis was also a pharmacist who occupied the drugstore in the building for many years.

Source

City of Tuscaloosa

Date

Circa 1976

Contributor

Jason Townsend (Description)
Whitney Telle (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

469

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking