Alabama State Bank Building, circa 1870

old-state-bank.jpg

Title

Alabama State Bank Building, circa 1870

Subject

Banks and banking
Bank buildings

Description

In front of the Alabama State Building on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) on horseback are members of the Fitts family. They are James Fitts Alston, Samuel Fitts Alston (second President of the Bank), and Marilou Alston.

The State Bank of Alabama was organized in 1820 by the State Assembly at Cahaba. When the state capitol moved from Cahaba to Tuscaloosa, the bank, by law, had to move as well. The state bank building was designed by William Nichols as was the old state capitol building.

The State Bank was a failure partly due to political ineptitude and the panic of 1837. In 1845, the State Charter allowed the State Bank to expire and the state covered all debts.

In the 1860s, James Harris Fitts purchased the building and housed his bank in it. In 1887, Fitts moved his bank into a building further down the north side of Broad Street towards 23rd Avenue, but continued to use the state bank building for his residence.

W.F. Fitts purchased the house from other heirs in 1919 and demolished it to build a one-story business block.

Source

Tuscaloosa News Archive

Date

Circa 1870

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)
Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

342

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

5 inches x 8 inches