Mount Pleasant Baptist Church of Gordo

MPBC 1904.pdf

Title

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church of Gordo

Subject

Church

Description

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church of Gordo was founded in 1843. The first church was a log building with a dirt floor and seats made of split logs and was heated by an eight-foot wide fireplace behind the pulpit and lit by oil lamps. The church had very strict rules and did not tolerate non-attendance, intoxication, profane language, theft, party playing, adultery, dancing, fiddling, gambling, lying, or joining the “anty” Baptist church. The church took a firm stand against alcohol and the sale of alcohol in Pickens County and was a leader in the defeat of several attempts to vote for the county to go wet.

The second church building was the wood frame building, shown above, that was built around 1904. A brick church replaced this one in 1971 and the brick church was replaced in 2018. With 13 charter members in 1843, the church has grown to over 400 members. (Information from Melba Wilson Moss published in The Pickens County Herald, July 18, 2018)

Source

Melba Moss

Date

Circa 1950

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2466

Coverage

Pickens County (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking