Weaver Branch Library, 1972

Weaver.jpg

Title

Weaver Branch Library, 1972

Subject

Public libraries
Tuscaloosa Public Library

Description

A photo of the Weaver Branch Library with a mother and two children leaving the library.

By late 1959, the idea of building a new segregated branch libray for African American patrons was being regarded as the best way to provide library service to this community. City of Tuscaloosa purchased the property for the location of the Weaver Branch at 2937 19th Street in early 1960. The $29,446 facility opened on December 12, 1960 and was dedicated on February 12, 1961 as the Weaver Branch.

Creator

Tuscaloosa News

Source

Tuscaloosa Public Library

Publisher

Tuscaloosa News

Date

April 23, 1972

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2461

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking