Central Foundry, Switch Engine No. 14

central-foundry-switcher-ena_2063e234ff.jpg

Title

Central Foundry, Switch Engine No. 14

Subject

Foundries
Railroads

Description

At one time, the plant on the banks of the Black Warrior River was the largest cast-iron pipe maker in the world. It survived the Great Depression and boomed during WWII and the Korean War. In the early 1980s, the foundry closed due to bankruptcy.

The Central Foundry manufactured cast iron pipe for water and gas service, cast iron soil pipe, fittings used for plumbing and drain purposes, and brake shoes for railroad locomotives and cars.

The foundry had three locations, the largest being in Tuscaloosa, and was the first large manufacturing plant in Tuscaloosa.

The Central Coal and Iron Co. of South Pittsburg, TN, found land near Tuscaloosa and named its site and company village after one of its officers, Frank Holt.

Coal for the foundry came from Kellerman. In 1902, the Mobile and Ohio Railroad built a 13-miles long (later 16-mile long) railroad to support operations at Central Foundry.


http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/al1112/

Source

Personal Collection of Jason Townsend

Contributor

Jason Townsend (Description)
Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

202

Coverage

Holt (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking