Gorgas House, 1888

66a_927d1ffd80.jpg

Title

Gorgas House, 1888

Subject

Gorgas, Josiah, 1818-1883
Historic house museums
University of Alabama

Description

Built in 1829, two years before the University of Alabama opened, the Gorgas House was the first structure on campus and one of the few to survive the Civil War. It was used as a guest house for visiting dignitaries and professors, as well as a dining hall for students. In 1840, it was remodeled as a faculty residence. It has also been used as a university post office and supply store.

Josiah Gorgas, who became the seventh president of the University of Alabama in 1878, lived there with his family. When he resigned because of ill health, the board of trustees gave him the house and he retired to it. Members of the family lived in the house until 1953.

In 1944, the state legislature designated the house as a memorial to the Gorgas family. The residence is now a museum with collections of antiques and Gorgas family memorabilia.

The grandchild of Josiah and Amelia Gorgas is shown in front of their home in 1888.

Source

Tuscaloosa News Archive

Date

1888

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)
Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

171

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 inches by 10 inches

Social Bookmarking