Old Tavern, 2800 28th Avenue

TAVERN-JH.JPG

Title

Old Tavern, 2800 28th Avenue

Subject

Taverns (Inns)

Description

The Old Tavern was originally located on the north side of University Boulevard between Lurleen Wallace North and South (Broad Street between 25th Avenue and 26th Avenue). It was built in 1827 by William Dunton, a hotel proprietor. Many state legislators, state officials, lobbyists and others stayed in the hotel due to its convenient location to the State Capitol. Governor John Gayle (1831-1835) lived in the tavern. Gayle found the hotel residence convenient since his family lived in Greensboro.

In 1964, the Old Tavern was deeded to the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society with the provision that it be moved to another site. The building was moved to the far end of University Boulevard near Capitol Park in 1966.

Creator

The Tuscaloosa News

Source

Tuscaloosa News

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1087

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking