Browse Items (48 total)

  • Tags: Downtown

photo (3).JPG
Built in 1844 for John Glascock from Virginia, the home is of French Gothic design with distinctive Gothic windows. Glascock was a leading merchant and citizen of Tuscaloosa prior to the Civil War. Six bracketed posts of wood support the roof of the…

Tags:

2001-12-31 23.00.00-44.jpg
This house was built about 1840 by William Henry Jemison, the younger brother of Senator Robert Jemison. It is also called the Jemison-Brandon-Waugh House.

This was the first house in Tuscaloosa which departed from the prevalent "Greek Revival"…

Tags:

Owen Free House.JPG
This house, part of a home built circa 1826 by one of Tuscaloosa's first doctors and a Methodist minister, was purchased by the late Dr. John Gallalee, longtime University faculty member and president of the University of Alabama in 1940. The 1820's…

Tags:

Ormond.JPG
This Federal style home with its red brick exterior was built by Judge J.J. Ormond in 1835 with bricks shipped from England. The small portico has Ionic columns rising to the second floor, Earlier a balustrade outlined the roof top of the front porch…

Tags:

McQueen Ray House.JPG
This 12-room English Tudor style house is constructed of wood and masonry with rock trim. Restored by Mr. and Mrs. Martin Ray, the structure now contains an enlarged kitchen and redesigned bathrooms. The third floor of the house is a large room with…

Tags:

Jones House2.JPG
The Jones Home, originally a two-story structure with no porch, was built by Dr. John Owen, a Methodist minister and former mayor of Tuscaloosa (early 1830's), for his daughter Sarah Frances Owen. Miss Owen married Thomas Jefferson Burke, an early…

Tags:

Leach Redel House.JPG
The Leach-Redel House was built in 1904 by Dr. Sydney Leach and his wife Naneita McEachin Leach, possibly to plans by architect J. Straiton of Greensboro, Ala., who had designed a house for Mrs. Leach's sister, Eudora Otts, several years…

Tags:

Foster.JPG
Located at 815 17th Ave., in the heart of Tuscaloosa’s Druid City Historic District, the house was built by Marmaduke Williams, a representative in the Alabama State of House of Representatives from 1821 to 1839. The house was a wedding gift from…

Tags:

McEachin.JPG
The McEachin-Little House is a square two-story structure with center end chimney and hip roof. A hall separates four rooms downstairs and the second story has the same plan.

Originally, there were 16 bracketed posts of wood, with banisters…

Tags:

Dearing Swaim.jpg
This home, originally known as the Alexander B. Dearing Mansion, was built between 1831 and 1842 by Alexander Dearing, who made his fortune in slaves and cotton in Mississippi before moving to Tuscaloosa. Although Dearing owned a plantation in…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2