Browse Items (48 total)

  • Tags: Downtown

lift bridge 001.jpg
This aerial photo shows the lift bridge across the Black Warrior River from Northport to Tuscaloosa about 1970. The bridge was demolished in 1973 when the new Hugh Thomas Bridge was constructed.

Greensboro Avenue begins at the bridge and proceeds…

Tags:

Big Jim Folsom '50s.JPG
In this photo taken in 1954, "Big Jim" poses in front of Hutchins Quick Lunch, located on Greensboro Ave. Several people in the photo were BFGoodrich workers. Identified in the photo are: Hoyt Hamner, Cliff Mock, Ace Trammel, Billy Thomson, Fuller…

Tags:

old firemen.JPG
Firemen show an antiquated piece of fire fighting equipment on parade traveling west on University Boulevard past Walker Motor Company. The event may have been a fire prevention parade.

Tags:

68-6a.JPG
The 10-story bank building is under construction in this early 1920's photo. The building was completed in 1925. Built by Merchant's Bank, the building has been home to several banks and is a landmark in Tuscaloosa. It is located at the corner of…

Tags:

laf2 001.jpg
The Tuscaloosa Fire Department 1923 LaFrance pumper in a fire prevention parade on University Boulevard in 1939. Waddell Bailey was a firefighter who had died earlier that year.

In 1939, the Tuscaloosa Fire Department had 18 firefighters and 423…

Tags:

laf 001.jpg
Tuscaloosa firefighters are shown in 1915 with the city's first pumper - a 1914 LaFrance Model 12. A firefighter is wearing a white shirt and a bow tie at a house fire. The new pumper had solid rubber tires, a spot light, lanterns and bell mounted on…

Tags:

firemen 001.jpg
Three of Tuscaloosa's first career firefighters with child on black goat in the fire house on the 2100 block of Seventh Street. The rented building was the last fire house to house horses. The black goat was the Tuscaloosa Fire Department's mascot.

Tags:

Firehouse 001.jpg
Tuscaloosa's second fire apparatus was a horse drawn fire wagon with chemical tank. Note lantern mounted on rear and volunteer firefighters on board. Tuscaloosa's first fire apparatus was a hand pumper named the Empress.

Tags:

fire 001.jpg
Horse-drawn fire equipment was on the ground floor with Tuscaloosa Town Hall on the second floor. The building stood facing Greensboro Avenue at the site of the Bama Theatre.

Tags:

qc 001.jpg
Four features of the Queen City Pool in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, which was dedicated in 1943, and two historical markers by the Alabama Historical Association are featured in this sketch.

According to one marker: In 1926, the city of Tuscaloosa…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2