Browse Items (48 total)

  • Tags: Downtown

Searcy House.jpg
This photo shows the Searcy House as it is being prepared for demolition in 2014.

The two-story Searcy House was built in 1904 by George Searcy, a Tuscaloosa banker and businessman. It was sold to Tuscaloosa County in 1925 for $35,000. The…

Tags:

Anchor club.jpg
According to "Past Horizons," published by the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society in 1978, the history of this structure is uncertain, but it was known to have been built in 1875 as a home and has changed hands several times over the…

Tags:

Hunters Chapel.jpg
Hunter's Chapel AME Zion Church was organized in 1866, the first black Methodist Church in Tuscaloosa. Its first house of worship was a rented building that stood where Bryant-Denny Stadium now stands. The first structure built by the church was…

Tags:

Wyman.jpg
A two-story wood frame house, built around 1905, the Wyman - Ashley House has a porch around two sides and utilizes the bay room both upstairs and down. The entrance is framed in a display of leaded glass ("Past Horizons," Tuscaloosa County…

Tags:

omeka-net-2539-archive-fullsize-fa12beacf57d48f31e0a34a568195597 (250x300).jpg
The Old Bama Theatre was located on the north side of Broad Street (now University Boulevard) in Tuscaloosa, next to what was then the First National Bank Building. The theater showed vaudeville acts and motion pictures. On the marquee, Deloris…

Tags:

Pugs.jpg
Pug's Restaurant on University Boulevard near the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa sold meal tickets to students and served 800 to 900 meals a day during the 1940s and 1950s. Many students earned money for tuition by working at Pug's. The…

Tags:

Maxwell 001.jpg
Maxwell Brother Wholesale Grocers was located on the corner of Broad Street (University Boulevard) at 23rd Avenue in Tuscaloosa where the Mellow Mushroom restaurant is located in 2014.

Tags:

courthouse site 001.jpg
This house, built in 1849 and demolished in 1907, was located on the site the Tuscaloosa County Court House that was completed in 1908. There was electricity at this time; see the pole in front of the house. However, the streets are still…

Tags:

shooting gallery 001.jpg
According to information on the back of the photo, probably written by Fred Maxwell, this shooting gallery was located on 7th Street between 23rd Avenue and Greensboro Avenue. The gallery was owned by W.J. (Bill) Townsend, shown on the left, and…

Tags:

TAVERN-JH.JPG
The Old Tavern was originally located on the north side of University Boulevard between Lurleen Wallace North and South (Broad Street between 25th Avenue and 26th Avenue). It was built in 1827 by William Dunton, a hotel proprietor. Many state…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2