Hurricane House at Y's Acres

Y house.jpg

Title

Hurricane House at Y's Acres

Subject

Young Men's Christian Association (Tuscaloosa, AL)
Camps

Description

This house, called the Hurricane House, was built in 1846 in Bibb County. It was moved to the banks of Little Hurricane Creek and reconstructed by Bryon Arnold about 1940. Arnold was a professor of music at the University of Alabama from 1938 to 1948. Arnold married Joan Warner in 1948 and they moved to California.

In 1951, the Warner Family gave the YMCA a tract of land including this house and 15 acres on Keen Mill Road. The property is called Y’s Acres, and is used in the summer as a day camp area.

After the land was given to the YMCA the house was occupied by Colquitt Clark, General Secretary of the Y, and his family. When Clark left the area in 1956, the house was occupied by R. Lee Johnston who succeeded him as General Secretary and the Johnston family.

Creator

Colquitt Clark, Jr.

Source

Wade Robbins

Date

Circa 1950

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

953

Coverage

Tuscaloosa County (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking