Tuscaloosa City Hall, 600 Greensboro Avenue, 1900

cityhall25_7f4c016bff.jpg

Title

Tuscaloosa City Hall, 600 Greensboro Avenue, 1900

Subject

City halls

Description

The Tuscaloosa City Hall and market complex was constructed in 1889 and demolished in 1936. It was located on the corner of 6th Street and Greensboro Avenue at the present location of the Bama Theatre. The lower floors of the building housed a meat market, a newspaper office and other private businesses. Mayor Luther Davis owned and operated a pharmacy there. There was an entranceway from City Hall to Davis's shop, which was convenient for anyone wanting to see the mayor on city business. His soda fountain was the site of frequent political discussions and many city matters were settled there.

Under Mayor Davis' administration, the building was demolished and new City Hall offices were constructed next to the Bama Theatre in 1936 and then, in 1970, City Hall moved to the old post office location on University Boulevard where it is located today.

Source

Tuscaloosa News Archive

Date

circa 1889 - 1908

Contributor

Jason Townsend (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

95

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 1/8 inches x 10 inches

Social Bookmarking