Laying the Cornerstone of New YMCA Central Building, 1958

Cornerstone Y.jpg

Title

Laying the Cornerstone of New YMCA Central Building, 1958

Subject

Young Men's Christian Association (Tuscaloosa, AL)

Description

The men in this photograph documenting laying the cornerstone of the new central YMCA building are from left to right: Hugo Friedman, J. Oviatt Bowers, Ernest Williams, Harlan Meredith, Buford Boone, George LeMaistre.

In 1955, Victor Hugo Friedman gave a gift to the people of Tuscaloosa that included both a new library and a site for the Central YMCA. The terms of the gift required the YMCA to purchase the Burchfield property (now the Jemison Van de Graaff Mansion) at Greensboro and 13th Street from Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Burchfield for $70,000. The YMCA then exchanged the Burchfield property with Mr. Friedman for the north half of the block where the Friedman home is located. Mr. Friedman then deeded the Burchfield property to the county to be used as a library for the people of this county to be known as the Friedman Library.

In 1955, the first Capital Fund Campaign was held. The goal was $1,250,000 for both the Central and Branch YMCAs. The amount pledged in the campaign was $1,068,635 of which the David Warner Foundation gave $250,000. A second building fund campaign was held in 1958.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the new central building was held on December 12, 1957, and construction was started in February, 1958. The Daniel Construction Company was awarded the contract for the sum of $965,202. The architects were Wilmot C. Douglas and Carl M. Mosely, Jr., Architects Associated.

Source

YMCA

Date

1958

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

907

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

9 inches x 7.5 inches

Social Bookmarking