YMCA Building, 2014 Broad Street, Circa 1908

YMCA723.jpg

Title

YMCA Building, 2014 Broad Street, Circa 1908

Subject

Young Men's Christian Association (Tuscaloosa, AL)

Description

The YMCA was reorganized in 1903 and a campaign was begun to raise money for a building under the leadership of B. A. Small, General Director, and officers W.G. Somerville and T.M. Leatherwood. A lot at 2014 Broad Street (now University Boulevard) was purchased and a 2-story building with a basement was constructed for approximately $20,000.

The cornerstone was laid on Monday, April 13, 1908 at 4 PM with Masonic ceremonies and an address by the Honorable H.S.D. Mallory of Selma, State Grand Master.

In the basement there was a swimming pool, with showers, tub, Turkish baths, lockers and dressing rooms. On the first floor there was a large assembly room, reading, game and class rooms as well as offices, a dining room and kitchen. There were 17 dormitory rooms on the second floor.

By 1912 when Pelham Brown was the Y president, the membership consisted of more than 300 men and boys plus a ladies club of 80.

A finance committee lead by W. W. Brandon, Fred Nicol and Washington Moody raised sufficient funds to build the gymnasium. The gymnasium was a frame structure to the rear of and adjoining the main building with gallery space to seat 450 people. This facility served indoor athletic activities for 3 schools - the University of Alabama, Pulliam-Brown School and the high school.

The above information was referenced in the Our Town column by Marie Ball, Tuscaloosa News, April 19, 1981.

Sometime between 1917 and 1922 the YMCA was disbanded and the YMCA building became the Terrace Apartments. The building was razed in 1961 because it had outlived its usefulness according to George Oliver, president of the S.E. Deal Corporation, which owned the building.

On July 25, 1962 the Board of Trustees held a meeting to honor all the living members of the 1906 YMCA. Approximately 20 of these members were able to attend. The Bible that was in the corner-stone box of the YMCA of 1906 was used for the devotions. The corner-stone box was given to the YMCA by Mrs. S. E. Deal, owner of the old YMCA building.

Source

YMCA

Date

Circa 1908

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Postcard

Identifier

900

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Social Bookmarking