Alabama Central Female College, circa 1905



Alabama Central Female College, circa 1905


Old State Capitol
Women's colleges


The Alabama State Capitol was located in Tuscaloosa from 1826 until 1847. The stone foundation of the capitol was laid in 1827 and work was completed in the late fall of 1829.

After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishing were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes. In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building for ninety nine years to the newly formed Baptist-affiliated Alabama Central Female College. At this time, a large brick four story dormitory was constructed at the west of the building. The building was used by the Alabama Central Female College until it was destroyed by fire on April 22, 1923 when a construction worker accidentally set it ablaze. He was soldering a piece of flashing while repairing the dome and the building caught fire. On August 22, 1923, the historic building was totally destroyed by fire. In the 1930's, the site was cleared for use as a park.

Archibald John Battle was president 1860-1862 (he later served as president of Mercer University from 1872-1889). Joshua Hill Foster was joint principal from 1869-71 and president from 1871-1873 (then became faculty member at University of Alabama until 1892). John F. Lanneau served as president from 1873-79 (later serving as president of Baptist Female College in Lexington, MO and Pierce City College also in MO).

The ruins of the old Alabama State Capitol building can still be seen in Capitol Park in Tuscaloosa.


Tuscaloosa News Archive


circa 1905


Jason Townsend (Description)






Tuscaloosa (AL)