H & W Drug Company, circa 1960

H and W Drug Co400.jpg

Title

H & W Drug Company, circa 1960

Subject

Drugstores

Description

H & W Drugs was located in the Alston Building on corner of Greenboro Avenue and 6th Street. It was opened in 1916 by two men whose names were Hanson and Williams.

The drugstore had a popular soda fountain where many University of Alabama students stopped for a soda after going to the movies at the Bama Theatre, the Druid or the Ritz. The soda fountain closed in 1972.

When the Alston Building was renovated in 1984, the drugstore moved down 6th Street. In 2008, the store was sold to Rite Aid which took the inventory and customer information and closed the downtown store.

H & W was the last downtown drugstore to close. At one time there had been six pharmacies within a three-block area downtown.

Source

Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama

Date

Circa 1960

Contributor

Tuscaloosa Public Library

Type

Photograph

Identifier

638

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 " x 10"

Social Bookmarking