Elks Home, circa 1900

elks-home-auditorium-c-19a_bd6487a0b2.jpg

Title

Elks Home, circa 1900

Subject

Opera
Theaters
Elks (Fraternal order)
Schuyler, Don Buell

Description

The Elks Home and Auditorium was built shortly after the organization of Elks Lodge No. 393 on January 7th, 1898. The auditorium was Tuscaloosa’s second opera house. It was located on the southeast corner of 6th Street and 22nd Avenue. In the 1920s it was bought by Joe Burchfield. . It was remodeled under the direction of architect Don Buell Schuyler in 1940 and re-dedicated as the Alta Apartments. It was demolished in 2008 for construction of the city hall complex.

The Tuscaloosa Elks played an active role in working with handicapped children, as well as, a variety of other youth programs.

Source

Personal Collection of Jason Townsend

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Postcard

Identifier

56

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Social Bookmarking