Alabama State Bank Rendering

state bank.jpg

Title

Alabama State Bank Rendering

Subject

Bank

Description

This rendering shows the Alabama State Bank in Tuscaloosa as it would have appeared shortly after its construction in 1827.

The State Bank of Alabama was organized in 1820 by the State Assembly at Cahaba. When the state capitol moved from Cahaba to Tuscaloosa, the bank, by law, had to move as well. The state bank building was designed by William Nichols as was the old state capitol building.

The State Bank was a failure partly due to political ineptitude and the panic of 1837. In 1845, the State Charter allowed the State Bank to expire and the state covered all debts.

In the 1860s, James Harris Fitts purchased the building and housed his bank in it. In 1887, Fitts moved his bank into a building further down the north side of Broad Street towards 23rd Avenue, but continued to use the state bank building for his residence.

W.F. Fitts purchased the house from other heirs in 1919 and demolished it to build a one-story business block.

Source

Ian Crawford

Contributor

Ian Crawford (Description)
Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Drawing

Identifier

510

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)