Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion, Lounge, 1305 Greensboro Avenue, circa 1950

b6fc88c45995e99981af8aef3d632ff4.jpg

Title

Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion, Lounge, 1305 Greensboro Avenue, circa 1950

Subject

Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion
Houses and homes
Burchfield, J. P,
Friedman, Victor Hugo 1878-1965

Description

The lounge or television room of the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion during the time the J.P. Burchfields owned the house.

The house was purchased in 1945 by J. P. Burchfield, Jr. and Nell M. Burchfield. At that time the house was completely renovated with preservation of all the architectural design.

In 1955, the house was purchased by the YMCA for $70,000 and was then exchanged with Mr. Victor Hugo Friedman for the north half of the block containing the Battle-Friedman House. The YMCA used the property for a site for the new central YMCA building. Mr. Friedman gave the Burchfield property to Tuscaloosa County for use as a public library.

Creator

Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion Foundation

Source

Historical Commission of Tuscaloosa County

Date

Circa 1950

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

415

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking