Guild-Verner House, 1904 University Boulevard, circa 1978

guild-verner-house_d948ac0dd0.jpg

Title

Guild-Verner House, 1904 University Boulevard, circa 1978

Subject

Houses and homes
Guild, Dr. James
Verner, C. B.

Description

Built about 1822 by Dr. James Guild, the house was the first brick residence in the city. Guild was a trustee of the University of Alabama and the Alabama Insane (now Bryce) Hospital, a member of the state legislature, and a practicing physician.

His son, Dr. Lafayette Guild, was chief medical officer for Gen. Robert E. Lee during the Civil War.

The house was sold to John Snow in 1881 and two years later to his brother, Dr. Charles Snow. The Snows were double first cousins of President John Quincy Adams.

The C.B. Verners acquired the house in 1911 and added the columns, side porch and other classic details. The house was originally Georgian style but currently is Greek Revival style architecture.

The house suffered through many owners, a fire, and vandalism until concerned citizens prevailed upon the Tuscaloosa City Commission to save the landmark. In 1977, the Home Builders Association of Tuscaloosa, Inc. restored the house and the staffs of the Home Builders and the Tuscaloosa Board of Realtors moved into it.

Currently, it houses the office of S.T. Bunn Construction Company, Inc.

It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

("Past Horizons," Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society, 1978)

Source

Tuscaloosa News Archive

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

277

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

6 by 10 inches

Social Bookmarking