Alston Building, Tuscaloosa's First Skyscraper, circa 1910
The Alston Building is located on the southeast corner of the intersection of Greensboro Avenue and Sixth Street. It was completed in 1910 on the site of the old Tuscaloosa County Courthouse, which had stood there since 1845. The Alston Building was the city’s first “skyscraper”, and was originally regarded as the tallest building on a dirt street in America. It was designed by Carson and Thetherow architects from Birmingham.